The new Vaasa of Social Democrats 2013-2016
The bonding of Vaasa and Vähäkyrö creates a new Vaasa with 65 000 inhabitants. As the engine of the area the goal is to build a city with new jobs and strong economy. And a area where the services and democracy works and where work and equity are the main points.
1. Bearing the responsibility of our children’s future
- Well-being of our children is a mutual concern. Sense of community and shared responsibility are both important. Early absence in all problems brings results.
- Everyone will be taken care of. Needs, education and interests of our children will be secured. The need of services will grow when new communities are created and we want to make sure that those needs are answered.
- There is a great amount of immigrants in Vaasa and helping them to settle down is something that should be invested in.
- More benefits (Vaasa-lisä) so all families can have same equal basis.
- A chance and responsibility for the children to accomplish activities they wish to do. More resources to solve problems that might emerge during childhood.
- As a big education city we should invest in it from kindergarten to university
2. Sports make you healthier and more socialized
- Both culture and sports are huge contributors to health. Everyone has to be able to participate.
- Investing in sport and free time is important. Having good sport and free time centers will encourage people to move. Hiking trails, ski tracks and playgrounds are great places to do sports and that’s why every community should have them close.
- Season pass to all 65 years old and up and two free visits in a year for all school grades to the swimming hall.
- Organization activity that is accomplished by community effort must be supported. They do precious work as volunteers. Organization activity creates sense of community and for example it makes things easier for young immigrants so they can settle down and it also removes mutual prejudice.
- Vaasa has to build places that are suitable for competitions by following plans and sustainable development.
3. The challenge of health care and special health care and how to develop them
- Quick treatment and good health care brings equivalent to tax money.
- When the family doctor system will be abolished and in 2013 transferred to four (4) health centers instead of six (6) health centers, doctor resources must be used more efficiently and flexible
- As a new experiment the mobile health service model will be taken to use. Simple operations and guidance will come closer to the patients.
- The government has decided that the current hospital system will be abolished and there remains basic health care and special health care. Have to make sure that Vaasa central hospital continues to remain as a full-service hospital.
4. Valuable and good life for senior citizens
- Good welfare of the senior citizens is something that everybody should care about. Old age is not a disease but one stage of life. Senior citizens deserve clinical practice that fits in their everyday life and appreciates their own preferences even if common services are sometimes needed.
- Creating good conditions for the senior citizens in co-operation with themselves, relatives, city and organizations. Family, social contacts, sport and quality of food with treatment are the cornerstones of good welfare.
- Focus in the support that senior citizens can continue to live home. Investing in living and keeping in mind the needs and preferences of senior citizens. Accessibility in the houses, resources, assistance, brining the treatment home and encouraging applying for treatment and recreation services outside their homes are also important.
- Development of day activities will reduce the need of expensive institutions. Good care requires a sufficient number of institution care facilities and minimum amount of skilled personnel (senior citizens’ service act). Alternative treatment centers should be offered.
- Social democrats are in favor of high-quality and equal services. Trading with social services involves risks even if private operators bring diverse in services. Community needs strong expertise to monitor the quality of the services.
5. Proactive planning – efficient planning and construction
- Continue to reform planning and construction – aim for a simple, efficient and transparent system.
- Investing in construction and maintenance of municipal engineering. More funds to build new areas while the old street network is taken care of.
- New areas will be planned so the city can give away at least 100 plots every year. City has to put more effort to get more land. Trackside plots in Klemettilä quickly to city’s hold.
- A strong hold to housing productions in the future. The goal is to have diverse housing stock that meets the needs. In next few years from 700 to 800 new homes.
- Investing to business and corporate areas to make more available business plots. The Laajametsä area behind the airport to use.
- City’s development requires road and street arrangements. We shall continue negotiations in order to improve the link road to get rid of Gerby’s and Kivihaka’s traffic problems.
- To develop Vaskiluoto port-area the new road through Sulva and Sundom must be accomplished. The road leads past the heavy traffic to the center of Vaasa. Same time the road serve Vaasa’s and Mustasaari’s common logistics area in Tuusula direction.
- Vaasa needs enough professional workers to build the city. They are also needed when construction projects are tendered and contracts signed.
- More resources to keep the roads maintenance high during the winter. Residential areas should be better served for example by using the so called snow stopper at plot junctions.
6. Traffic with higher quality
- Investing in the public transportation. Developing new solutions for bus services in cooperation with entrepreneurs and users. New users with experiments.
- Developing public transportation so it works logically throughout the city. Pupils and students as an important base when designing the transportation.
- Biogas as an alternative fuel to buses and city’s own vehicles
- Pedestrian and bicycle network will be developed.
- Investing in the traffic education. Rules, respect toward other people and road safety must be taught. Safe traffic environment indicates that Vaasa is a well-managed urban environment.
- Vähäkyrö’s and Vaasa’s common road network has to support functionality of the new Vaasa. Good transportation for the residents.
- Constructions are long term projects. Important projects are Hietalahti Stadium with an indoor sport hall and “Vaasa-house” with combined music and congress hall.
- Mansikkasaari must be cleaned up. The new council has to make their decision of Mansikkasaari’s future use from the basis of the architect competition that was held in 2011.
- Påtti’s refinery must be covered so that the odors are reduced. The sludge has to be transported through the tube straight to Stromossen.
- Develop and reform the property conditions in Vähäkyrö. Contract must be followed.
8. Transactions and influence of the residents has to be brought to a new era in Vaasa.
- City’s electronic transactions and access to information has to work fluently through the web-site so that more resources van be released to face to face services.
- Electronic services are developed in social welfare and health care. More phone times has to be offered so patients can talk with professionals. Social lending to use as a new form in social services.
- Developing citizens’ direct participation and influence such as democracy, civil panels and participating planning.
- Foundation of operation of the new 67- member city council has to be strong in the beginning of 2013 and that will be achieved with education, data technology and with good planning.